Classes and Workshops
Mindfulness Drop-in Meditation| Mindfulness Meditation 101 | Eating Mindfully | From Stressed to Blessed | Mindful Self-Compassion
Attend one of our Mindfulness Meditation classes and increase your awareness and well-being at the same time. Or implement a meditation program within your organization to increase trust, teamwork, collaboration, and productivity among other things. Though this mind-training technique is thousands of years old, lately science has shown various benefits as to why you should take it up:
- increased wellbeing
- increased immune functioning
- increased emotional regulation
- increased cognitive functioning like attention, concentration and learning
- increased positive psychological states like gratitude, compassion and happiness
- decreased negative psychological states like depression, anxiety, and agitation
- decreased reactivity to stress
- enhances relationships
Check out my blog post about Building a Healthier You with Meditation.
||La Jolla/ UTC Area||Interested in bringing mindfulness meditation into your organization? Contact Merry for information on how to make that happen.
Studies and practices show that meditating in community increases trust internally AND externally, and can influence productivity, concentration and collaboration.
Mindfulness Meditation 101
Mindfulness Meditation 101 is a class to support your journey into meditation. This 4-Week Course is for those interested in enhancing their wellbeing; mind, body and heart. This class is experientially based, as we get you started right away how best to fit meditation into your life. In this 4-week course, you will
- Learn about mindfulness meditation: what it is, how to do it, and the attitudes cultivated.
- Experience different meditations such as; awareness of breath, body scan, loving kindness, and more.
- Plan your own meditation practice that fits your needs and life style.
- Become familiar with different sitting techniques, and where to get supplies.
- Know where mindfulness resources are to help you; in life and on-line.
A follow-up class will be offered in June, to encourage continuous and communal sitting. Start today to find your community and begin a meditation practice with me in April. Remember, mindfulness is about meeting yourself exactly where you are, accepting yourself, and bringing kindness to your heart and the world.
Location: San Diego Center for Wellbeing, 11858 Bernardo Plaza Court, Ste 220
San Diego, CA 92128
Registration coming soon.
This 8-week course brings mindfulness to the process of nourishment, expanding our awareness of when, where, what, how, and why we eat. The course, which is experientially based, is drawn from the book “Mindful Eating: A Guide to Rediscovering a Healthy and Joyful Relationship with Food,” by Jan Chozen Bays, MD. Topics covered in this class include:
- The 9 hunger centers: what they are, how to assess, and healthy ways to fuel them
- Conditioned rules around food, and how to discard what no longer serves us
- Adopting new ways of relating to the nourishment process
- Practical tips to support eating for health, satisfaction, and yes, Joy!
- Meditations and exercises to bring awareness to mind-body sensations, environment and refueling
- Compassionate stretching and movement to increase mind-body awareness
- The class will end with a silent eating retreat
*A copy of the book is included with registration.
Next session to be scheduled September ’17. If you would rather get started sooner, consider Mindful Eating Coaching with Merry.
Stress is inevitable in life, as it is the one thing that is consistent. How we handle change can bring stress, which can then lead to illness, disease and chronic conditions. Attend this experiential workshop, based on the 8-week course- to increase your awareness around responding to stress, rather than reacting. Here at BeingMerry, we offer two types of classes: a one-day abbreviated workshop that combines stress reduction, gratitude and mindfulness, and an 8-week Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction class, that is the curriculum designed by Jon Kabat Zinn, founder of MBSR.
New Experiential 1-day Workshop:
Feeling a bit stressed lately with all the chaos escalating in the world, and in your own life as well? Do you find your head being hacked by all the latest changes, and your mind constantly running through various scenarios that may or may not happen? Do you wish to halt the busy-ness of life, pause and focus on what matters most?
Take a break from life as you know it to focus on nourishing your wellbeing: mind, body and heart. Learn how mindfulness and gratitude can support your wellbeing, allowing you to engage more with your life, and the people in it. Observe your own experience going from reactive stressfulness to a calmer blessedfulness through this experiential workshop.
Participants will experience mindfulness techniques and gratitude practices that science shows benefits your wellbeing. In this full day workshop/retreat you will:
- Learn how stress can impact your health, and new ways to handle it.
- Experience meditation and mindfulness practice that can rewire your brain, lessening the intensity of negative emotions as you cultivate positive emotions, calm and grow your resilience and health.
- Build a meditation practice that fits your needs and your life.
- Increase your mind-body awareness as you get out of your head, and tune into cues and wisdom of your body.
- Discover mindfulness practices you can use in daily life.
- Grow your gratitude muscle, to energize, heal, and transform.
Location: Herahub Sorrento Valley, Conference Room, 4010 Sorrento Valley Blvd., San Diego, CA 92121
- Yoga mats and cushions will be provided. Lunch is not included. Participants are invited to bring a brown bag lunch or purchase lunch ahead of time, to experience mindful eating in community. Be sure to wear comfortable clothing for light activity.
- Registration is required for this event.
- Register for 4/29/17 here.
8-week MBSR Class: The next course will be held in August ’17. If you are interested in getting started sooner, consider allowing Merry to work with you as a coach.
Self-compassion is about giving yourself support instead of criticism or judgment at the moment you need it most. It is a skill that can be learned–and cultivated mindfully. If you are like the average person, when things don’t go as planned, you beat yourself up, judge yourself and say things that are hurtful. You may use words and tone with yourself that you would never imagine using with someone else. Why is that? Because our society is fiercely competitive and going “easy” on ourselves is not motivating or responsible. Self-compassion is not about letting ourselves off the hook, or about self-pity or self-indulgence. It’s about treating ourselves with kindness and encouragement. Self-compassion supports us when self-esteem fails. Studies actually show self-compassion can motivate us– out of support and not fear.
This 8-week class is based on the work by Kristin Neff and Christopher Germer, that encourages the building of resiliency and inner resources. In this program, you will learn how to cultivate compassion for yourself, identify your needs, values and beliefs, and build new rituals to support your emotional health. Self-compassion is associated with positive psychological states like gratitude and happiness, and decreases negative states like depression and anxiety.
Dates/Times: The next 8-week Mindful Self-Compassion course will be in July, 2017. Check back soon for specific details and registration. If you wish to start sooner, considering coaching with Merry around this topic.
© Copyright 2013-2017. BeingMerry.com